Summer is in full swing! With sunshine and warmer weather, it’s a great time to get outside and enjoy the outdoors.
Spending time outside provides a number of physical and mental benefits to people of all ages. Just a half hour each day can enhance wellness and state of mind. Benefits include:
- Increased vitamin D levels—especially important for seniors
- Enhanced attention levels by taking a break from everyday overstimulation
- More restful sleep as a result of less time spent in artificial light
- Strengthened immunity in the form of increased white blood cells
To take advantage of the beautiful weather and cultivate your physical wellness, consider taking some of your exercise routines outside. While strenuous exercise in high temperatures is not recommended for older adults, there are plenty of options to get you moving.
- Take a walk through your neighborhood or on a trail.
- Hit the pool. Cool off while getting exercise!
- Bring your normal workout outside. Take your weights or yoga mat to your backyard and let the sounds of nature serve as a soundtrack to your routine.
- Work in the garden. Beautify your yard, harvest a bounty, and get a workout while doing so!
- Play around with grandchildren. A simple game of baseball or tag is a great way to connect with loved ones and get some physical activity.
- If physical mobility is limited, even enjoying a meal or a conversation outside can provide great health and wellness benefits.
Choose an activity that interests you and take advantage of the power of nature!